It’s not exactly Monopoly, but Keith and I have been given the “Directly to Jail” card. It’s actually a good thing, it’s just a little weird. For UT Medical Center’s NICU, parents have to “room-in” with their baby(ies) for one or two nights before the baby can be discharged from the hospital. It’s almost a trial run, where you get a room that is more like a hotel room, and the baby comes to stay with you in the room. You provide all of the care, just like you would at home. Except, it’s nothing like being at home-you’re stuck in one room, no kitchen, no natural light coming through windows, no Nana to come save you when you need a nap. Instead, you have the ambiance of a hospital (albeit a nice one), hospital food, and even worse, a hospital bed.
Keith and I were lucky enough to be assigned not just one, not two, but THREE nights of rooming-in. How lucky are we!?! We’re technically rooming in with Grady, but Cole will also be in the room with us, he will just be monitored more closely than Grady. We’ve been assigned three nights thinking that the three nights might give Cole a chance to catch up so that by Monday he might also be ready to go home. Doesn’t really mean that either one will for sure go home on Monday, but that’s the goal! The doctor’s will be doing assessments during the weekend to see if either boy is progressing as they want them to, and that will determine if/when anyone goes home.
So, I will not be doing any updates until Monday since we’ve been sentenced to our hospital room. At least we have two really cute babies to play with, and that’s all that matters.
Keith and I were lucky enough to be assigned not just one, not two, but THREE nights of rooming-in. How lucky are we!?! We’re technically rooming in with Grady, but Cole will also be in the room with us, he will just be monitored more closely than Grady. We’ve been assigned three nights thinking that the three nights might give Cole a chance to catch up so that by Monday he might also be ready to go home. Doesn’t really mean that either one will for sure go home on Monday, but that’s the goal! The doctor’s will be doing assessments during the weekend to see if either boy is progressing as they want them to, and that will determine if/when anyone goes home.
So, I will not be doing any updates until Monday since we’ve been sentenced to our hospital room. At least we have two really cute babies to play with, and that’s all that matters.
Here's to hoping my next post is done from the comforts of our own home.
What's that? You want more pictures of the boys? Certainly!


4 comments:
Good news! keep up the good work with Cole Trudi so he can take his whole bottle (tickle his feet if he does not wake up to eat) Hope you get to come home soon with them. Love you Nana Bothma.
Wow - it sounds like a great time for all!
I don't really have any nuggets of wisdom... Nana Bothma, thanks for yours (it will make it easier when we finally get around to having kids!).
Wait, Melissa. You're thinking of having kids??? Thanks for telling your husband! ; )
Trudy & Keith, the boys are very precious ! As a Nana of 2 and a 3rd on the way, I am in love with my grandbabies, and I know your Mom & Dad are also. I'm very proud of and for you guys, and so proud of Karen! I'll keep checking in to see new pictures & stories. Congratulations & see you all soon.( Far Gap, haha )
Post a Comment