Sunday, February 13, 2011

11 hours of sleep and a few really long vigorous walks really does a person good. Good enough to feel like blogging again. I was going to blog about how nice the weather is and how we were actually able to play outside today, but I'm guessing you want to know about the boys' birthdays', right?

So, on Friday the boys went to school, where they were the stars of the birthday party. They were most excited to take their friends the cupcakes we made. I'm not sure what else was done during their birthday, but I do know balloons and a whole lot of glitter was involved. 

And when we came home we waited for Nana and Oupa to arrive. For the first time in weeks we played about the front yard while waiting. Here we are hunting for squirrels. Cole claimed he saw a squiwwel from where he stood and Grady was coming to that spot to see if this was indeed true. 

The next 30 minutes is of little significance because, if we have to be frank, it was just filler time until we could go inside and open presents! Nana and Oupa arrived, Dada got home, and we beelined for the gifts. 


Here we are tearing into the gifts from Aunt Linda and Uncle Fred. She's always good at picking out car/truck toys. And a cute shirt that was appreciated by the mom of the house, but not the children. 
And then we came to the next few gifts. Which were from the two sets of grandparents. Sort of. Both sets of grandparents said "ooh, we'll give some money and you can get them shoes/pajamas/socks/whatever practical items you might need." Which is so thoughtful, but honestly, a new pair of socks doesn't keep a kid entertained for 30 minutes while Momma cooks dinner, ya know?


So Mr.Amazon and I spent that money on a kiddie digital camera and a kiddie laptop for each kid. Both were big hits.

As was the light up toy Nana and Oupa brought.
And then presents were opened and it was time to play! Say please! -we don'y say "cheese", we say "please". 
And then of course you have to look at the picture you just took. In unison, 'cause that's what we do.
Now Nana is the subject. Note how Cole's whole body is getting into it. And notice how the laptops are in position, just waiting until someone needs to look something up or brush up on their ABC's.
After Grady took this picture, he looked at the screen and said "GOT IT!". I guess I must say that a lot after taking pics.
Cole showed Nana some of her photo session's pictures. 
Of course no birthday is complete without the kids having cake at least two times that day. Nana brought a cake. I told her colorful is good, and she complied.
Cake for everyone! And flour and sugar, if anyone wants. 


The best part of the day was Nana giving the boys their bath and putting them to bed so I could bake the cake for the next days' party. 
And so I could put Oupa to work preparing the ribbons for the capes. 
And get crafting supplies organized. 
And boss Keith to bring the water bottles in so we didn't try to hydrate our guests with room temperature water. They're no Europeans. Wait. A few of them are. Hmm. I'm digressing. We spent the next two hours prepping for the party and headed to bed for a good night's sleep.

No comments: