Monday, January 31, 2011

Boys' Birthday Trip: Day 2, Magic Kingdom, at Night

You can't stay at a hotel and not partake in the free happy hour, right? That's just wrong.

So after naps on this day we headed down to the dining area for all you can drink juice and snack mix. First, I should point out that the plastic cup next to Cole has pineapple juice, not beer. Looks very similar, I know. He was really excited about it, so maybe he thought he was having a beer like Dada? Whatever makes him happy. Second, in that striped bag is your average snack mix. Note how he is picking all the bagel chips out. I commented to Keith how he is OCD, and Keith was quick to point out that I do the same thing. My retort was that 1) I am not OCD, and 2) d*mn, I thought I was being sneaky when I did that. 
Grady was less selective about the snack. I don't even know why he's pulling a face here. 
Best part of happy hour is trying a slushie for the first time. Oh, kiddie heaven! There was a red and a blue slushie and boy did we have a good time changing our minds from wanting red to wanting blue. After we got it, of course. That bartender loved us. 
With our bellies full of sugar liquid and bagel chips, we went back to see this guy at night. 
The park was near deserted. Awesome. As we walked in, people were streaming out and for a second I worried the park would be closed due to rain. We quickly asked and were assured the park was open. Phew.


Kind of funny, but also not, is that Keith and Cole ran into the boys restroom here at the entrance to Main Street in Magic Kingdom. In one of the bathroom stalls someone had used a creative medium to write the word "pooh" on the wall. I'll let you figure out what they used as the medium. 


Dust or something on the lens here, sorry. Notice how Cole makes the rounds, and Grady stays in the stroller. One learns quickly not to rouse Grady is he's content.
Once we reported the poopy artist to a cast member, we strolled down Main Street and enjoyed the changing lights of the castle.
Another quick attempt to get a group shot.

Then off to have some adventures!
Some big tree house thing. Robinson Crusoe or something? I don't remember. 
We all liked the tree house. We only saw two other people for the 10 minutes it took us to walk through, and the boys liked the steps and rope and neat little windows and rooms.
One of the views we stopped to admire while traversing the tree.
One of the views Keith and I admired.
And then, all done with the tree. And what do we see here? No lines at the magic carpet ride? Why yes indeedy, let's do it. 
In action. I only wish these rides lasted longer.
Uh-oh. Natives are approaching sleepiness. Let's hope we last until fireworks. And until then, let's find something that will capture their attention.
Turns out that something was the Country Bear Jamboree. Or a name very close to that one. Our hosts on the wall greeted us.
We sat and eagerly waited for the bears...see how empty the place was?
And then it started! If you've been reading for a while, you know that Grady loves his Beah. And when this bear said that other bears would play music, Grady giggled. 
And then this bear came out of the ground and was playing piano, and Grady very seriously turned to me and said "my Beah plays the guitar". And of course he does, he's quite a well-traveled and educated bear.
Whoa. Then the bear version of a boy band.
And the three baby-temptress bears. Bonnie, somebody, and Beulah. During their song it was really obvious that like much of Disney, there were two levels to this show. The cute stuff the kids notice, and the very adult humor for the big kids. 
We rounded the night off with the fireworks show. At first we were all excited since there was fun music and bright colors. But then, as they do on so many rides and shows, things turned dark and there's a witch or a bad person featured with scary music and it all goes to hell for the little ones. 
So by the time we saw the first of this, Cole had decided that he needed to get away, and the next 10 minutes were spent walking towards the exit, then stopping for a minute so Grady could watch, then walking for another minute to put more distance between Cole and The Scawy, and on and on. 
Overall, a very good day. And we were all in bed and asleep by 9:15. 

No comments: